The “M.S. Keenora” was built in 1897 for the Rainy River
Navigation Company of Rat Portage, Ontario. It was named for the three towns in
2. The “Keenora” burned wood until about the 1950’s, then she burned coal until diesel engines were installed about five years before she was taken out of service.
The “Keenora” was originally used for service
4. During the tourist season the “Keenora” operates with a crew of about 26. The crew includes the Captain, the First Mate, a number of deck hands, waitresses, an engineer and a cook or two.
5. The “Keenora” was taken out of service because of the rising costs of updating and providing safety standards for the passengers and crew.
6. Early in 1966 the current owner of the “Keenora”, Marine Transport Ltd., announced that the boat would no longer carry passengers. It operated that season before being transferred to the Selkirk slough to rest until 1973.
7. The “C.G.S. Bradbury” was built in 1915. “C.G.S.” stands for Canadian Government Ship.
8. The “Bradbury” was mainly used by the Federal Government. For a short time between 1930 and 1952 the Manitoba Government operated her. However due to rising operation costs, the province sold her to a private owner.
9. Originally the “Bradbury” was used a fishery patrol vessel, a lighthouse tender, and an icebreaker. After her re-commissioning in 1952 she continued in these capacities, and was also used as a dredge tender and a transportation vessel for government officials
10. In 1952, the Federal Government rebought the “Bradbury” and had her re-commissioned, installing two Kalenburg diesel engines, weighing 20 tons each, and new navigational gear.
11. As she neared retirement, the “Bradbury” was unable to continue her duty as an icebreaker because of a weakening in her wrought-iron hull.
12. The crew of the “Bradbury” performed many jobs that went beyond the call of duty. In 1917 she broke through half a foot of ice while carrying doctors and medicine to a northern settlement which had been struck by a flu epidemic.
The “Bradbury” replaced the “S.S. Baldur” as a fishery patrol vessel,
but she was somewhat less successful than her predecessor, as she burned coal instead of wood. The
black smoke from her funnel allowed poachers to spot her coming from miles away,
with the result that she never managed to apprehend
14. The lighthouse was built and put into operation in 1898.
The lighthouse came from
16. In clear weather, the light from the lighthouse could be seen by passing ships up to 20 miles out. However, during fog and poor visibility conditions, the foghorn was used to signal ships of impending danger.
The “Jackie S.” was built in 1952
18. The tugboat “Granite Rock” was built in 1913 for the Brown & Rutherford Company.
The “Granite Rock” was used on
20. “Chickama” is a Cree word meaning “of course”
was too large to handle the shallow rocky waters of
The “Chickama II” carried passengers and freight/cargo to
23. The “Chickama II” was built by the Purvis Company in Selkirk in 1942.
24. M.S. stands for motor ship and S.S. stands for steam ship.
The “M.S. Keenora”
and the “C.G.S. Bradbury” were both prefabricated in
26. In 1944 the “M.S. Northland Lady Canadian” was built by the Purvis Company for Canadian Fish Products.
27. The “Lady Canadian” was mainly a fish freighter, but she was also used as a survey boat for Manitoba Hydro.
The “Peguis II” was a government tug built
for Public Works in 1955. It
The dry-dock is used for building ships, and also to raise them out of
the water. This makes it easier to repair the hull, as well as annual
refitting. The dry-dock located behind the